This is a Parent Teacher Community Organization (PTCO) Blog, not the official website for Laie Elementary School. Here you can find lots of great information on what is happening at and in our community. Thanks for stopping by!
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Math Game 'Top It!'
Let's learn basic math skills by playing games. A simple game to play is called "Top It" (back in the day we called it "War"). You can use a regular set of cards (take out the suits).
A few tips before beginning:
1. Don't split up the deck of cards, just leave them in a pile in the center of the playing surface.
2. Decide how many cards each player will take? 2? 3? 4?
3. Decide what you are going to do with the digits displayed on the cards? Add them? Multiply? Subtract?
4. Decide if the winner is determined by the highest answer? lowest answer?
5. Be flexible with the rules.
Starting the game:
1. Each person draws the pre-determined number of cards. (see #2 above)
2. Each person figures out their answer. (see #3 above)
3. Winner gets all the cards. If there is a tie, draw a new set of cards and repeat the steps. Winner takes both sets of cards.
5. Have fun!
Laie Elementary Math Coordinator